Stanislaus Regional Transit (branded as StaRT) is a countywide public transportation service for Stanislaus County in California's Central Valley. With Modesto as its hub, StaRT provides bus and dial-a-ride services throughout the county, including Patterson, Turlock, Oakdale, Ceres, and smaller communities. It also provides one regional bus service, linking Turlock and Dublin/Pleasanton BART in the Bay Area via Patterson weekday commutes only.
All services are contracted out to Storer Transportation based in Modesto.
All of the following regular-sized buses with StaRT operate using compressed natural gas:
- New Flyer Xcelsior XN35
- New Flyer Xcelsior XN40
- Orion VII C40LFR
- Line 10 (Modesto - Turlock via CA-99)
- Line 15 (Modesto - Turlock via Ceres, Keyes)
- Line 40 (Modesto - Patterson via Grayson, Westley)
- Line 60 (Modesto - Oakdale via Riverbank)
Shuttle and Cutaway Vans
For services to smaller communities, StaRT operates numerous cutaway vans from Chevy, Ford, and International. These vehicles are used on:
- Route 45 East (Patterson - Turlock)
- Route 45 West (Patterson - Gustine via Crows Landing, Newman)
- Route 61 (Modesto - Empire - Waterford - Hickman - Hughson - Ceres loop)
- Numerous dial-a-ride and shuttle services countywide
StaRT operates a Medi-Van service linking Modesto with San Francisco Bay Area medical centers, operating Mondays to Thursdays. This service is designed for non-emergency medical transportation to most facilities in the Bay Area, including Livermore VA Hospital, Oakland Children's Hospital, UCSF Medical Center, and Stanford Hospital and Clinics.
At least two weeks' notification is required to use this service, with a special reservations and inquiry number: 1-800-262-1516. And StaRT commits to not leaving any stranded passenger using this unique service.
It is open to the general public, with the following fares: